- Greenhouse gas emissions continue to increase and is more than 50% higher than their 1990 level69.
- Average global temperature has risen by 0.85°C.
“To put this into perspective, for each 1 degree of temperature increase, grain yields decline by about 5 per cent. Maize, wheat and other major crops have experienced significant yield reductions at the global level of 40 megatonnes per year between 1981 and 2002 due to a warmer climate.”70
- Water scarcity affects more than 40 percent of people around the world71
- This figure is likely to increase due to rising temperatures as a result of climate change
- It is estimated that at least one in four people are likely to be affected by recurring water shortages by 205072