Episodes #15 and #16
(20-21 August 2011)
We may not see it every day, but there are families living amongst us who do not have a home to go to at night. Some sleep on void decks or at the beach, others bounce from one friend or relative’s place to another. There’s no single reason why someone loses their home. It could be because of a lost job, family issues or even a pregnancy. In Saturday’s episode, we share with you a true account of a courageous woman and her young daughter who don’t fit the stereotype. On Sunday, we take a look at trends and share some advice offered by a woman who has been through this.
If you know of somebody who needs help please refer to our resources below for more details.
Episode 15 : Homelessness in Singapore – A True Story
Episode 16 : Homelessness in Singapore – What Can You Do?
- Poverty No More (Season 1): Government agencies that can assist and additional stories
- Singapore Homelessness (Monica Kotwani, Asia Calling, 29 April 2010)
- This 2009 article by Martin Lee has a number of useful links to government assistance schemes
- Backstory of WAHAH, Singapore’s newest shelter (“Empathy and Helping Hands for all Abdul Mutalif Hashim, community home maker,” TODAY 9 August 2011)
- “Beggars No More” (The New Paper, 08 Aug 2011)
- “Without a home to live in, more families getting help” (Number of homeless families assisted by MCYS nearly doubles in last three years, Neo Chai Chin, TODAY Online, 23 Aug 2012)
Lend A Helping Hand
If you of someone or a family who needs help, please encourage them to touch base with these three MCYS-sanctioned homeless shelters:
For those who need social or financial assistance, please call ComCare at 1800-2220000
For those who would like to volunteer or lend a listening ear, please call AWARE hotline at 1-800-774-5935