- Greenhouse gas emissions continue to increase and is more than 50% higher than their 1990 level69.
- Average global temperature has risen by 0.85°C.
“To put this into perspective, for each 1 degree of temperature increase, grain yields decline by about 5 per cent. Maize, wheat and other major crops have experienced significant yield reductions at the global level of 40 megatonnes per year between 1981 and 2002 due to a warmer climate.”70
- Water scarcity affects more than 40 percent of people around the world71
- This figure is likely to increase due to rising temperatures as a result of climate change
- It is estimated that at least one in four people are likely to be affected by recurring water shortages by 205072
15.2 The Challenge
People who contributed least to the causes of climate change are mostly living in developing countries. However, the impact of climate change hits them the hardest. Disasters such as floods, droughts and other extreme weather disasters are destroying homes and livelihoods, creating food shortages and claiming the lives of those living in the poorest countries73.
15.3 The Opportunity
UN SDG 13 calls for urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts. With political will and various technological measures, there is a real possibility of limiting an increase in global mean temperature to 2°C above pre-industrial levels74. Urgent collective action is imperative to address global warming.
69Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts. (n.d.). Retrieved from Sustainable Development Goals: http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/climate-change-2/
71Goal 6: Clean water and sanitation. (n.d.). Retrieved from United Nations Development Programme: http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/sdgoverview/post-2015-development-agenda/goal-6.html
73Climate Action. (n.d.). Retrieved from ONE: https://www.one.org/international/globalgoals/climate-action/
74Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts. (n.d.). Retrieved from Sustainable Development Goals: http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/climate-change-2/
- Poverty, Climate Change & Sustainable Development
- Poverty No More (Season 2) – Additional Resources
- Poverty No More (Season 1) – Additional Resources